Happy September, everyone!
I don’t know about wherever it is that you are, but all of a sudden, this Midwestern end of summer just turned… well.. like summer. The temperature has been in the 90’s and the humidity is through the roof. It’s definitely been an odd couple weeks!
With that in mind, I started thinking about things that were on heavy rotation this last week to combat shine and such. It occurred to me that maybe I should start looking more critically at how I have been trying to tackle some of my skincare challenges, as well as things that have been in high rotation in my constant effort to de-stash. But let’s be honest, that’s probably never going to happen… de-stash? Ha! My goal will be to feature a few favorites each week with a mini-review/explanation.
Here are this week’s favorites:
Left to right (clockwise): MAC Fix+, Murad Oil-Control Mattifier, Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Brazilian Tech Keratin De-Frizz Wand, MAC Mineralize Blush in New Romance, MAC Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in A Natural Flirt and Sweet Heat, Vogue September 2014
– MAC Fix+ – excuse the old packaging of this particular bottle. I’m a little embarrassed about that… I talked about this in my Summer Favorites post a few weeks back – and it has been a daily life saver the last few days! I’ve actually been layering this and using after foundation and setting powder and then again after applying blush and eye products. Its really helped keep everything in place with the high humidity.
– Murad Oil-Control Mattifier – I know I’ve mentioned other things from the Oil-Control line before, as well as many other Murad products. I just love their skin care. It’s been a go-to brand for over 10 years. I decided to forgo primer for a few days and revisit this old favorite. Apply a thin layer to the T-zone and chin and it really keeps the oil away.
– Real Techniques Expert Face Brush – I’ve been going back and forth between foundations this week and this brush has been very forgiving throughout my experimenting… it smooths out the foundation and provides consistent coverage. It is so gentle and never pulls at the skin. This is one of the best value brushes – high quality and only $9. I took advantage of some sales at Ulta and Kohl’s a while back and pretty much doubled my brush collection. This is by far my favorite!
- Brazilian Tech Keratin De-Frizz Wand - this came in the Winter Allure box and has been an absolutely amazing addition to my hair arsenal. It looks just like a tube of mascara – the wand comes out coated in product and a couple swipes at the roots calms even the smallest flyaways. You can use this on day one or three after shampooing and does not weigh down hair or make it greasy. It is getting to the end of the tube and I’ve been panicking a bit because I’ve never seen it in a store – turns out this little magic wand is about $8 at Sally Beauty and available on Amazon. CRISIS AVERTED!
- MAC Mineralize Blush in New Romance – I picked this up the other day at the MAC launch party (post coming soon!) last week – I just love the color and shimmer to this peachy blush. It is so sheer that I have been using as a highlighter with The Balm Hot Mama and alone layered a bit heavier for a pretty flush. And I love the new magnetic Mineralize packaging! This is available now at all MAC locations for $27.
– MAC Extra Dimension Eye Shadow in A Natural Flirt and Sweet Heat – these were limited edition shadows from the Magnetic Nudes collection that I reviewed here. I probably used these shadows 3-4 times this week and am just as in love as the first time I swatched them. Keep an eye out for similar shades in future Extra Dimension releases.. I have a feeling something similar may come back around based on the Alluring Aquatic line that came out a few months back.
And do I need to explain the September issue? :)
I hope you enjoy this new weekly feature!